Saturday, November 17, 2012

Southwestern Turkey Soup

Talk about dressing up leftovers! And just in time for Thanksgiving, too. After eating leftover turkey for the fourth day in a row, you may be looking for something else to do with all that meat. And if you like Mexican and spicy food like I do, you should give this a try. It's got fantastic flavor and quite a bit of spice, but it doesn't mask the awesome flavor of the turkey. Best of all, it's entirely turkey and vegetables, so your mouth thinks you're eating chili, but your waistline thinks you're eating vegetable soup!


Oh, and apparently I gorge myself on soup, because every time I make any kind, I end up with far less servings than what it's supposed to yield. This originally said 7 servings. I've eaten it twice and it's half gone... Hmm...

Southwestern Turkey Soup
From Taste of Home
Yields: Who knows? Somewhere between 4 and 7 servings, apparently

You'll need:
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
2 to 3 T diced jalapeno peppers (I used all 3, of course)
1 T ground cumin
1 1/2 t chili powder
1/4 t salt
1/4 t cayenne pepper
3 cups cubed cooked turkey (I like small pieces)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (10 oz) can Ro-Tel (original)
1 1/2 c frozen corn
sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips, etc. to throw on top


In a large saucepan or dutch oven, saute the onion in the oil until tender. Stir in the broth, jalapenos, cumin, chili powder, salt, and cayenne and mix. Add the turkey, beans, Ro-Tel, and corn.

Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes to let the flavors blend. Done.

I found it to be quite spicy (even for me) and it was very good topped with some cheese and sour cream to cool things off.


No comments:

Post a Comment