Sunday, March 13, 2016

Chocolate Buttercream Icing

In case my position wasn't clear, I'm a big fan of real food. I'm not adamant to the point of madness. I'm not on a crusade against processed foods. I still love Cheetos and Diet Mountain Dew. But I do believe that making as much of your food as you can from real ingredients (1) is better for you and (2) just plain tastes better. One of the best examples? Buttercream frosting.


Now. I'm not trying to brag, because I didn't come up with this recipe myself. But I have only tasted frosting better than mine a few times in my life. I'm perfectly serious. That stuff on the grocery-store-bakery cake and in the jar on the shelf on the baking aisle simply cannot compare to real, homemade buttercream. For every birthday cake, I get rave reviews and people wanting to know my secret. There's no secret. Just real food.


That stuff in the jar? It contains preservatives, artificial flavors, and some stuff I can't even pronounce. This recipe? Five ingredients. And about five minutes. 


Real food. And seriously the best buttercream you've ever had.


(Also... I love decorating cakes.)  :)

Chocolate Buttercream Icing
From: Hershey (I believe the recipe was, at one time, printed on the baking cocoa label)
Makes: 3 cups (enough to generously frost a 9 x 13" cake OR two 8" or 9" round cakes)

You'll need:
6 T SOFT butter*
Cocoa: 1/3 c for light flavor
            1/2 c for medium flavor (this is what I usually use)
            3/4 c for dark flavor
2 2/3 c powdered sugar
1/3 c milk
1 t vanilla

*Softening the butter ahead of time is key. If your butter is melted, the texture will be off, and if your butter is cold, you'll get lumps of butter in your icing. Just set your butter on the counter for a few hours before you start.

Beat the butter on medium speed until fluffy.


Beat in the cocoa and powdered sugar alternately with milk, using only as much milk as necessary to get a nice spreading consistency. (I typically use all the milk because soft icing spreads easier.) Make a powdered sugar mess on your counter and on the dog who's lurking at your feet. Blend in vanilla.


Lick beaters. And spoon. And another spoon. And bowl.


 Use a silicone or metal spatula to spread icing onto your cake, cupcakes, or a graham cracker. (Try it!) Freeze your leftovers for another day. (That is, if you have any left over.) And for more fun with real food, check out my original buttercream icing recipe.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment